If you are a parent, guardian, college student, or community member and would like to volunteer at our school, please contact us directly during regular hours. Before volunteering the following must be completed:
- volunteer application
- online background check
- give copies of your driver’s license
- emergency form
- confidentiality form
What to expect
Volunteers are responsible for maintaining a professional attitude of mutual respect and confidence. Volunteers in school buildings should:
- Be punctual and reliable
- Notify the school in case of an absence
- Sign in and out in the office
- Wear the school nametag at all times
- Practice the professional ethics of confidentiality
- Become familiar with school and classroom policies and practices
- Be willing to adjust to each teacher's individual style and follow his/her directions
- Set a good example in appearance and behavior for students
Volunteers should sign in when they enter the building, and sign out when they are leaving. Talk with administrative assistant to record your presence.
For safety and security, all volunteers must wear a school nametag at all times.
Volunteers must protect teachers' and students' right to privacy. They may not disclose school information or personal matters, whether shared with them directly or overheard. They should discuss student problems or concerns with only the staff member with whom they are working or the director.
How you can help
These suggestions are only the beginning! We welcome other ways that volunteers can help!
- Read stories to children
- Listen to children read
- Practice math facts
- Assist with learning centers
- Reproduce materials
- Make instructional games
- Play games at recess
- Grade papers
- Prepare bulletin boards
- Assist with field trips
- Be a guest speaker
- Help with outside gardening and landscaping
- Help office staff with mass mailings
© 2017 Lake Michigan Academy • 2428 Burton SE Grand Rapids, MI 49546 | (616) 464-3330
LMA is a regional resource and the only dedicated school in West Michigan to educate students with learning disabilities.