Parents often ask what it is that makes us different, and how are we going to get through to their child when other schools did not. “Different Learning, Different Teaching" begins with the core principles and values we adhere to in teaching our students to achieve success. LMA is an environment where students are being challenged, building self-esteem and gaining respect for others. We encourage advocacy, independence and personal responsibility. Every student is encouraged to build on their own strengths, and discover skills to overcome distractions that have kept them from achieving their true potential.
- LMA is a community of learners where students are encouraged to take an active role in the learning process.
- Self-esteem is enhanced through the development of strategies to achieve success.
- We teach respect, advocacy, independence and responsibility.
- We achieve success by applying specialized teaching methods that are tailored to students who face challenges such as ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, and dyscalculia.
- We focus on differentiated education for each child’s strengths and needs.
- We allow for skill development through the use of remediation and accommodations. This may include
one-on-one help with specific studies, special equipment to help with areas of focus, and customized courses.
- Literacy is taught across the curriculum. We teach students to understand the language and text in all subjects and content areas. They are not only taught to read in language arts class but also in social studies, science and math. In all classes, students are taught the vocabulary, text information and how to read graphs and charts found in the curriculum and reading comprehension.
- LMA is a safe environment where students will feel comfortable in knowing that they are valued and respected as they are.
- Teaching respect for self and others is valued in every aspect of our school.